CHICAGO IL — If your travel plans include visiting any country outside the USA, including Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, Bahamas or Bermuda anytime soon, then you will need a passport. Current regulations state in addition to presenting a valid passport book when returning to the United States by air, you’ll now need to present a U.S. passport at land borders and sea ports of entry to return home.
The Postal Service makes obtaining a new passport or renewing your old one an easy and convenient experience. Several Chicago Postal Stations will have extended hours Saturday, August 4 opening earlier or staying open later in the day for Passports. See the schedule below for this Saturday:
Norwood Park, 6300 N. Northwest Highway, 60631 – 8:00 am to 2:00 pm
Harwood Heights, 7101 W. Gunnison St., 60706 – 9:00 am to 2:30 pm
Niles Branch, 6977 W. Oakton St., 60714 – 8:30 am to 3:00 pm
Mt. Greenwood, 3349 W. 111th St., 60803 - 9:00 to 1:00 pm
Evergreen Park, 9359 S. Kedzie Ave., 60805 – 9:00 am to 1:45 pm
Cicero Branch, 2440 S. Laramie Ave., 60804 – 9:00 am to 1:45 pm
Passport fees are $145 total for adults (16 years and older) (a separate payment of $35 to the Postal Service for its processing fee, and $110 payable to the Department of State for the passport application fee.) For persons under 16, the total cost is $115, which includes a $35 processing fee to the Postal Service and $80 payable to the State Department. The Postal Service also offers a passport photo service at a cost of $15.
The application must be paid by cash or check. Credit or debit cards, as well as cash or checks, may be used to cover the cost of photos and acceptance fees.
- Bring in proper proof of American citizenship. This must be either a certified birth certificate issued by the city, country or state; a previous U.S. passport; a certificate of citizenship; or a naturalization certificate. (Please note: a hospital-issued birth certificate alone is not acceptable).
- Bring in proof of identity. This must be either a previous U.S. passport, a naturalization certificate; a certificate of citizenship; or a current valid driver’s license, a government ID or military photo ID.
- Passport photograph services will be available on site for a fee of $15.
- To save time in this process, customers can download a passport application at the Department of State website: www.travel.state.gov.
- All applicants must appear in person (including minors). Applicants under age 16 must appear with both parents. If one parent is not available, a notarized authorization from the absent parent is required.
The Postal Service receives no tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations.
For U.S. Postal Service media resources, including broadcast quality video and audio and photo stills, visit the USPS Newsroom. For reporters interested in speaking with a regional Postal Service public relations professional, please see our local contacts list. Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and LinkedIn. Subscribe to the USPS YouTube Channel, like us on Facebook and enjoy our Postal Posts blog. For more information about the Postal Service, visit usps.com and facts.usps.com.