POSTAL SERVICE ANNUAL PERFORMANCE PLAN GOAL:
Provide services that meet the needs of different customers in competitive markets and grow the revenue necessary to support the public service mission of the Postal Service.
Performance Goal: Provide timely, consistent delivery across all classes of mail.
As stated in the plan, 2002 indicators and targets for this subgoal are:
- Achieve Overnight First-Class Mail on-time performance of at least 93 percent.
- Achieve targeted Express Mail on-time performance, as measured by the Product Tracking System (AM & PM).
- Achieve targeted Priority Mail on-time performance, as measured by the Priority End-to-End (PETE) system.
- Achieve two- and three-day First-Class Mail on-time performance of at least 88 percent.
- Set a performance baseline for the Delivery Confirmation Scan Rate – Parcel Post service.
- Set a performance baseline to improve Parcel Select service.
- Set a performance baseline to improve Standard Mail service.
- Achieve a Delivery Confirmation Scan Rate of 98 percent with combined Manual and Multiple scans of less than 5 percent.
In 2002, the Postal Service:
- Exceeded the performance target of 93 percent for on-time delivery of Overnight First-Class Mail with performance of 94 percent on-time. The established target for this EXFC measured target is the weighted originating/destinating result of Postal Quarters (PQ) I-IV. For 2002, in total, the Postal Service achieved Overnight First-Class Mail on-time performance of 94 percent, which exceeded the target for the period of external measurement.
- Did not achieve the performance target for Express Mail delivered the next day due to limited air transportation availability consequent to the terrorist attacks. The specific target and associated information is proprietary.
- Did not meet the target for Priority Mail on-time performance due primarily to the disruption in air service caused by the September 11 terrorist attacks. The established target for this PETE measured target is the weighted origin/ destination combined result of PQ III and IV performance. The specific target and associated information is proprietary.
- Did not achieve the performance target for EXFC two- and three-day mail of at least 88 percent on-time, also due to transportation problems resulting from the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The established target for this EXFC measured target is the weighted origin/destination combined result of PQ III and IV performance. The Postal Service achieved two- and three-day combined First-Class Mail on-time performance of 87 percent.
- Achieved the Delivery Confirmation Scan Rate target of less than 5 percent Manual/Multiple Scan Composite. During PQ I and II, Delivery Confirmation Scan Rate performance was within 0.5 percentage points of the target. Increased focus in this area resulted in achieving the target for PQ III and IV.
B. Year in Review
C. The Planning Process
D. The Three-Voice Structure
and Performance Goals
E. Voice of the Customer Performance
F. Voice of the Employee Performance
Goals: A Motivated, Productive
and Inclusive Workforce
G. Voice of the Business Performance
Goals: Financial Performance
H. Evaluation of 2002 Performance
and Changes to Goals and Subgoals
in the 2003 Plan