Last-minute tax filers are likely to have one more item on their checklist – how to secure a coveted April 15th Postmark.
Area Post Offices will be open regular customer service hours on April 15th. There are no Post Office retail locations that are staying open late.
However, the Grand Junction Post Office, at 602 Burkey Street, will accept envelopes with proper postage for postmarks only until 11 PM at the outside, drive-up collection boxes.
A self-service postage kiosk is available inside the postal lobby.
Customers can call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777) to find out the regular customer service hours of their local Post Office.
Last year, taxpayers filed more than 234 million income tax returns. Almost one-quarter of those were mailed. Below are important tax mail tips.
- Apply the proper postage or stamps, especially if enclosing extra forms and schedules. Using a regular size Number 2 envelope, First Class postage costs 49 cents for the first ounce.
- For heavier envelopes, add extra stamps or postage amounting to 21 cents for each additional ounce.
- If you are not sure about the correct postage, it is best to add additional stamps, or take your forms to the Post Office to ensure that correct postage is applied.
- Make sure you print the proper IRS address on the front of the envelope.
- Print your return address in the upper-left-hand corner of your tax mail envelope.
- Customers who wish certification that their tax mail form was sent, should send it Certified Mail
- Customers with IRS tax questions can contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040; or go to www.irs.gov
The Postal Service receives no tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations.
# # #
Please Note: For broadcast quality video and audio, photo stills and other media resources, visit the USPS Newsroom at about.usps.com/news/welcome.htm.
For reporters interested in speaking with a regional Postal Service public relations professional, please go to about.usps.com/news/media-contacts/usps-local-media-contacts.pdf.