NEW MANAGEMENT INSTRUCTION
Use of Retail and Cell-Phone Cameras
The new Management Instruction AS-882-2006-3,
Postal Service Use of Retail and Cell-Phone Cameras (MI),
establishes the policy and procedures for: (1) Postal
Service™ use of cameras for monitoring retail operations,
and (2) restrictions on employee or contractor use of handheld and cell-phone cameras in Postal Service facilities.
The MI establishes requirements for the approved use
of cameras for monitoring retail operations, as follows:
• Sets prohibitions for retail lobby camera use and
• Limits access to retail lobby cameras to a need-to-
• Provides annual review and authorization of established standard technical, security, and access-
The MI also sets corporate-wide limits on the use of the
camera functions portion of those cell phones containing
The new MI provides the following benefits:
• Establishes corporate-wide regulations for the use of
retail lobby cameras, including kiosks.
• Ensures accurate inventory and network control of all
• Standardizes practices and procedures for network-
• Sets standards for images, e.g., security, disclosure,
• Enables the Inspection Service and Information
Technology remote access to retail lobby cameras, if
MI AS-882-2006-3 went into effect on September 22,
2006. It is available on the Postal Service PolicyNet Web
• Go to http://blue.usps.gov.
• Under "Essential Links" in the left-hand column, click
• Under "References" in the right-hand column under
"Policies," click on PolicyNet.
• Click on MIs.
(The direct URL for the Postal Service PolicyNet Web
site is http://blue.usps.gov/cpim.)
— Privacy Office,
Consumer Affairs, 10-26-06