Applying for a State Department Export License

To obtain a State Department export license, you must submit the appropriate license form and receive approval. In most cases, in order for a license to be considered, you first must be registered with the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC). You can register at

To submit a new State Department license application, visit DTrade, the fully electronic system used for the majority of licensing needs.

For more information and links to DTrade, visit the State Department website at