We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package for Postal Service™ career employees.
- In addition to competitive basic pay rates and regular salary increases, depending on the type of job held, most employees may also receive overtime pay, night shift differential, and Sunday premium pay.
- Health Insurance
- The Postal Service participates in the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) Program, which provides excellent coverage and flexibility with most of the cost paid by the Postal Service. There are many plans available, including Fee-For-Service, Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) and High Deductible & Consumer-Driven Health Plans. Employee premium contributions are not subject to most taxes, making health insurance even more affordable.
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- Employees are eligible to participate in the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP). While employees pay the full cost, this group insurance offers excellent coverage at rates made even more affordable because premium contributions are not subject to taxes.
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Career employees may participate in the Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) Program after one year of service. Tax-free FSA contributions can be used to cover most out-of-pocket health care and dependent care (daycare expenses).
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Employees may enroll in the Federal Long-Term Care Insurance Program (FLTCIP), which insures for the costs of receiving long-term care (e.g., nursing home or assisted living), which typically is not covered by health insurance or Medicare.
- The Postal Service participates in the federal retirement program, which provides a defined benefit (pension), as well as disability coverage. Eligibility is determined by your age and number of years of creditable service.
- Thrift Savings Plan
- Career postal employees may contribute to the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP), which is similar to 401(k) retirement savings plans offered by private sector employers. Employees contribute to TSP on a tax-deferred basis, and may receive automatic and matching contributions (up to 5 percent of pay) from the Postal Service.
- Social Security & Medicare
- Newly hired postal employees are covered under Social Security and Medicare.
- Life Insurance
- The Postal Service offers coverage through the Federal Employees’ Group Life Insurance (FEGLI) Program. The cost of Basic coverage is fully paid by the Postal Service, with the option to purchase additional coverage through payroll deductions.
- Commuter Program
- This program offers tax-free purchase of public transportation and parking, up to IRS maximums, to reduce out-of-pocket costs for employees who choose to participate.
The Postal Service offers generous annual (vacation) and sick leave – 13 days of annual leave per year for the first 3 years, increasing to 20 days per year after 3 years of service, and to 26 days per year after 15 years of service. In addition, full-time employees earn 4 hours per pay period as insurance against loss of income due to illness or accident. Annual and sick leave is prorated based on paid hours for part-time employees.
Effective October 6, 2012, Postmasters, supervisory and managerial employees, and non-career employees converted to those positions, who have no prior federal or USPS service that is creditable toward the leave computation date, receive 10 days of annual leave per year for the first 5 years, increasing to 15 days per year after 5 years, and to 20 days per year after 15 years. In addition, employees earn 3 hours per pay period as insurance against loss of income due to illness or accident. Annual and sick leave is prorated based on paid hours for part-time employees.
- The Postal Service observes 10 holidays each year.
- Career Development & Training
- The Postal Service offers a learning environment that reinforces success through training initiatives that allow employees to improve basic operational knowledge and gain leadership skills. Executive-level development is provided through a comprehensive multi-level program designed for those executives meeting certain high-performance criteria.
Learn More About Career Development & Training