How to Order the Document You Need

Postal Service Employees

To order a directive or form, you need to know the supply source (from where you actually order the item). Use the Postal Service source column in Chapters 2, 3, and 4 to determine the supply source code of the directive or form that you wish to order. These codes are explained in the table, Supply Source Codes, which begins on page 9. For supply source codes of non–Postal Service documents (for example, GAO (General Accountability Office) documents) consult the GSA Supply Catalog ( or your local federal procurement office.

You can order items available from the Material Distribution Center (MDC) by using touch tone order entry (TTOE): Call 800–273–1509.

Note: You must be registered to use TTOE. To register, call 800–332–0317, Option 1, extension 2925, and follow the prompts to leave a message. (Wait 48 hours after registering before placing your first order.)

Be sure to use the appropriate ordering method for the supply source shown for the document (including your FEDSTRIP and finance number(s)). Do not send it to IPP at Headquarters.

Publication 223 is available on the Postal Service PolicyNet Web site. Go to; under “Essential Links” in the left–hand column, click on References; under “References” in the right–hand column, click on PolicyNet, click on text; click on PUBs.

It is also available on the Internet. Go to; click on About USPS & News; click on Forms & Publications; click on Postal Periodicals and Publications; click on Publications.

Many forms are also available in automated versions. See Electronic Documents on page 6.